Friday 24 December 2010

Abandon Film




It's not often that I'll give up on a film. I'm the eternal Movie Optimist; I can almost always find something to like about even the worst films.
But sometimes a film will defeat me.

Kingdom of Heaven - 2005, Ridely Scott
I almost regret not sitting through this one, and one day I might try again because I didn't even make it as far as Edward Norton who I like a lot. I watched the first hour or so on the TV recently, I'm not even sure which version I was watching; the original (and derided) cinematic version or the supposedly much more coherent director's cut (good old Ridely and his director's cuts). It's too easy to blame Orlando Bloom for KOH, even if he is woefully miscast. I don't mean to knock the guy, but there is a definite place for Orlando in the Cinematic world, and the lead role in historical epics is not it. I think the reason I so disliked KOH was because I so adore Troy. Orlando's performance in Troy is awful (along with Eric Bana's) but the whole thing is just the right level of camp for it to work. KOH also has an ensemble cast of famous 'great' actors, but it takes itself very seriously. If you get a load of well respected British actors to grow beards and dress up like knights to deliver po faced performances, it had better be Shakespeare, else it could easily be rubbish.

I'm Not There - 2007, Todd Haynes
I can handle pretentious bullshit, sometimes I even like it, but four/five actors all playing 'Bob Dylan' with varying degrees of self satisfaction was too much. A bunch of famous actors sitting around talking out of their arses may actually be the best way to represent the life and works of Dylan, but it ain't half boring.

10,000 BC - 2008, Ronald Emmerich
It was a while ago that I watched/abandoned this one and I have almost no memory of it, which is a surprise because I normally have a good memory for film (in place of being able to remember useful things). Something to do with cavemen mumbling to each other about someone who was kidnapped, and maybe a dinosaur. The action sequences were very boring and very expensive looking. It must be a massive disappointment for a director (and his financial backers) to watch the sequences he so carefully storyboarded, shot, and CGI-ed to the max, only to realise that the final shot is desperately uninteresting. 'Oh no' they must cry, 'This is meant to be the good bit'.
Some of Ronald's early low budget West German sci-fi films look quite interesting though.

Rocket Science - 2007, Jeffery Blitz
Soulless Indie Comedy by the numbers.

The Zombie Diaries - 2006, Kevin Bates and Michael Bartlett
Stop getting the Zombie Apocalypse wrong!
I love zombie films and the whole Dawn of The Dead zombie scenario in general. In fact, I sometimes fantasise about the dead rising and society falling. I'd relish the zombie Apocalypse, I think I could make it. For this reason I hate it when characters in zombie films start screwing up. I enjoyed The Walking Dead series on FX recently, but I still get annoyed when they get angry and shout at each other. Stop making so much noise. Stop wasting ammo. How could you not notice that zombie slowly staggering toward you?...and so forth. The Zombie Diaries is full of such stuff, but there was something else that put me off. TZD is a low budget British film (something to be applauded and supported) made with (I assume) amateur actors. At least I hope they were amateurs because they were all awful. This is the problem I have with home grown super-low-budget film; bad British actors seem worse than bad actors from other countries because I'm so used to British accents that I can easily tell when someone is 'acting' because it sounds staged and insincere (like the actors on Hollyoaks). Bad acting in non domestic films doesn't seem so bad to me because it's unfamiliar and so doesn't seem so obviously like acting. I suppose a zombie film where everyone creeps around in silence and never loses their heads might not be much fun to watch though.

3 comments:

  1. I pretty much always finish a film as well. It's not so much that I'm an optimist- if I give up on a film then there's something that bugs me- I feel like I've been defeated or something. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

    Anyway, the worst film I've seen in a very long time is Superman Returns. I've now progressed from not liking it into getting really pissed off whenever I think of it. There's barely any structure to it at all, Clark Kent has hardly any lines let alone any character development, the big reveal was so blatantly telegraphed early on that I thought it was assumed that we already knew. The thing that really fucked me off though was that Lex Luthor was about to take over the world from a rock that he was stood on with a couple of henchmen. Any kind of sniper/ missile/ fighter jet/ bog standard army man/ kid with a gun could have stopped him but were expected to think that Superman is Earth's only saviour. It's the most half arsed climax to a film ever.

    Sorry to hijack your blog to rant about some shit that really doesn't matter but that's kind of the point of this one isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's presicely the point. I'd heard bad things about Superman Returns. I think Kevin Spacey is a bit rubbish in general. He's been dining out on The Usual Suspects for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more on I'm not there - self-indulgent bullshit. I too always try and slave to the end of any film I sit down to. I found it quite hard this morning watching Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Decent enough adaptation but it was such an unimaginative, basic recreation of the novel that as someone who has already read the trilogy I found it a waste of time. What concerns is some people will put off reading the trilogy to watch the films instead and totally lose what makes the story great - namely Larsson's writing.

    ReplyDelete