Sunday 23 January 2011

Chroma Key The Hard Way


After a month of sporadic filming and one mammoth editing session yesterday: Episode 2 – Robocop.



After the experience of making my first animated short I was slightly more ambitious with the second, specifically with my extended use of chroma keying aka green screen. I had grand ideas for the opening shot, and it took a lot more time and effort that I intended to make it work, as this ‘Making of’ shows:



(I can’t even spell ‘chroma’ correctly)

Hopefully the next episode will be less laborious. I find that actually animating the figures isn’t too tricky, it’s setting up the shot and the lighting that takes time. Using a green screen takes away a lot of that trouble and when done right allows the figures to be placed in a background that looks more real that the one behind them. As I get to grips with the software I’m using I’ll pay more attention to all the visual effects that are possible. I could probably do a lot more to improve the ambient light in post production, but I think the animation has an amateurish charm the way it is.

Creating professional looking video effects is literally child’s play in this day and age, as the young ‘Katsuhono’ proves:



There are a lot people making of impressive stop motion out there, but few of them are more than just showcases for their creator’s skills (and their lovely new Transformers toys). Narrative and story are still most important keys of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment