Monday 28 February 2011

Sky Atlantic


I’ve not been watching many movies recently because I’ve been Sky+ing so much on Sky Atlantic, here’s what I’ve been watching.

Broadwalk Empire
I feel as though I have reached a kind of TV series watching state of nirvana. After having seen all of The Sopranos and The Wire and The Shield, I know how to watch a series from the beginning; how to be patient, how to recognise when I should remember something. I think the writers may have had the previous viewing experiences of the audience in mind as some characters are killed of far more abruptly that I expected, so it’s not as though we can predict everything.

Five episodes in, Broadwalk Empire is picking up the pace. I actually think that the pilot directed by Martin Scorsese isn’t as good as the rest of the series so far. I’ve watched episode 1 twice now and it seems a bit too whimsical. It features a very Scorsese-esque ‘murder and body discovery montage to period music’ which I think was unnecessary.

Excellent as the series is, I think it’s slightly uneven. All the external shots on the titular boardwalk are created with CGI to recreate 1920s Atlantic City, these sequences all have a kind of dream like quality which doesn’t sit well with the internal shots which are filmed in incredibly detailed studios. I’m often reminded of the dream sequences from the Sopranos, like the one where Tony is talking to the fish which has Pussy’s voice.

I’m nitpicking though, coz it’s ace.

Treme
From the braniacs behind The Wire, and how. Only two episodes in it’s still not clear where this is going, but as a Wire vet I know that when all the story lines come together it’s going to be awesome.

I’m glad I went to the effort of watching Spike Lee’s When The Levees Broke: A Requiem In Four Acts (two would have done) also on Sky Atlantic which documents Hurricane Katrina and the resulting floods. Now that I’m an expert on Katrina and New Orleans, I smugly know the background of the characters and their circumstances better than the average Treme viewer (and isn’t that the point of HBO drama; to feel clever for watching it?)

There is one very annoying character – the DJ guy who keeps fucking up- but otherwise they’re all good, and many are based on real people. One of the characters is played by a Katrina Survivor who appears in When The Levees Broke, as does Wendell Pierce, who’s family lived in New Orleans. Walter is in it too.

Blue Bloods
Hmm...difficult to recommend this one. Blue Bloods sits somewhere between The Shield and all that CSI style bullshit. The episodes are very formulaic: Nasty crime (but not too nasty) takes place, Donnie Wahlberg’s detective character is assigned to investigate, he calls on the help of his district attorney sister and Police Commissioner father to help, in a moment of desperation he gets all Vick Mackey on some guy who he knows did it, but can’t prove it. Then at the end of the episode the whole family of cops gets together over Sunday dinner and debates the morality and legality of how they solved this week’s case. Somewhere in there is an ongoing plot about police corruption. Tom Selleck looks like a walking advertisement for Just for Men.

The Sopranos
It gets better every time.

Battle Star Galactica
I quite like it. I never watched any episodes when it was new but I can understand the appeal. Family friendly Sci Fi drama, some poorly conceived characters but the way the Cylons have been re-imagined is good, and every other episode has a good plot. Future Star Trek series (please) would learn a lot from this. Sky Atlantic is also showing Voyager from the start. I remember liking it first time round but I’ve caught a couple of the early ones and it’s not as good as I remember.

Six Feet Under
I watched the first three series or so when they were on Channel 4 ten years ago(!), much better than I remember. I remember being quite disturbed by the idea of Charlotte Light and Dark back when I was 18.

So,

After years of snobbishly claiming to not really watch TV, I have found myself watching at least 6 programs religiously. But it’s OK, because there are loads of other TV-addicts who consider themselves quasi-intellectuals watching exactly the same stuff. But for how long? It’s only free for six months y’all.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2011/jan/05/sky-atlantic-mad-men-treme

By the way, is anyone watching Outcasts? It seems like something I might dig, but it’s on the BBC, so I dismiss it as being a nice idea but poorly made, mainly due to a lack of script editing by completely un-savvy producers, who stay in their jobs because they’re mates with the right people, and having only produced state funded television for their whole careers are incapable of creating a contemporary drama that is anywhere near as good as foreign commercial offerings.
Rant Rant Rant, But seriously, even when the great Charlie Brooker was given free reign to write a zombie series for Channel 4/E4 it still went a bit wrong. Why can’t we get it right over here? Maybe because UK TV producers/directors/writes don’t work well with each other?

Dead Set had one writer and one director for all five episodes. Over at HBO teams of many writers and directors and script editors and producers ensure that the best ideas/characters/plotlines are kept and the rest voted out.

There’s nothing new about this. Everyone cottoned on years ago when Friends was the most popular show on telly and no one in the UK could write a sitcom anywhere near as popular or consistent.

Shieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

1 comment:

  1. I'm similarly balls deep in Sky Atlantic. Pretty gutted that it's only for 6 months.

    I thought the Boardwalk Empire pilot wasn't that great but the second (first?) episode was loads better. When you said the exterior shots were dreamlike I thought about The Sopranos straight away. It does look a hell of a lot like Tony's dream.

    I thought Blue Bloods looked fairly standard so I gave it a miss. There's tons of shit like that on various channels like FX and More4.

    Looking forward to Mad Men season 5 as well. It's become one of my favourites through the box sets and the BBC 2 repeats.

    I still watch the odd episode of Voyager on Virgin 1 or whatever and I always really enjoy them. The ideas are always original but not particularly complicated. There's something about how the characters are always so positive and friendly that I like as well.

    Got Treme Sky Plussed as well but I'm going to wait until I'm through Boardwalk Empire and Mad Men Season 4 before I start on that. Hope it's more like The Wire and less like Generation Kill.

    ReplyDelete